- speeds up the metabolism
- boosts the immune system
- reduces inflammation
- kills fungi, yeast and bacteria
- improves calcium and magnesium absorption
- supports the development of strong bones and teeth
- improves digestion and bowel function
- supports thyroid function
- helps to prevent wrinkles and sagging skin
- can improve the look and health of your hair
Varieties of Coconut Oil
There are primarily 6 varieties of coconut oil that you will find on the market. These are pure coconut oil, refined coconut oil, organic coconut oil, virgin coconut oil, organic virgin coconut oil and extra virgin coconut oil.Pure Coconut Oil:
This oil is our most well-known old friend. It is extracted from dried coconut kernels, which are also called copra. It is crude, unrefined and without any additives. It is mainly extracted by compression of copra in a mill, either driven by bullocks or by power. However, the variety extracted by bullock driven oil mills is preferred. Pure coconut oil has multiple uses such as edible oil, massaging oil, hair oil, cosmetic usage, as well as medicinal and industrial use.Refined Coconut Oil:
This is sometimes also called the RBD coconut oil, which is an abbreviated form for refined, bleached & deodorized coconut oil. As the name suggests, this type is obtained by mechanically and chemically refining, bleaching and deodorizing the crude coconut oil, to make it thin, colorless, odorless and without any type of particle (such as proteins) suspended in it. What we then get is only pure saturated fats.Virgin Coconut Oil:
Virgin coconut oil is derived from the milk obtained from fresh coconut meat, and not from copra, by processes like fermentation, centrifugal separation and enzyme action. Care is taken to use no or as little heat as possible in the extraction of this oil. Produced in this way, the oil tastes and smells the best and is laden with antioxidants and medium chain fatty acids. It also has remarkable anti-microbial properties. This is one of the most respected and trusted varieties of coconut oil.Organic Coconut Oil:
The coconut oil that has been extracted from coconuts obtained from coconut palms raised only on organic manure and no synthetic fertilizers or insecticides. The production of organic coconut oil is also completed without involving any chemical in its extraction or processing. This is another well-respected variety of coconut oil. Organic coconut oil forms an integral part of a number of organic cosmetic products such as organic soaps, organic skin creams and lotions, organic snacks and thousands of other similar products. Some of the organic programs and authorities that certify organic coconut oil include Global Organic Textile Standards (GOTS), USDA National Organic Program (NOP), European Organic Regulations (EU 2092/91), Export Certificates for Japan (JAS Equivalent), Indian National Programme for Organic Production (NPOP), Quebec Organic Reference Standard (CAAQ), Bio Suisse Standards, IOFAM Basic Standards, ECOCERT.Organic Virgin Coconut Oil:
This type of oil is basically virgin coconut oil produced from the organic coconuts, in an organic way. This is perhaps the best and purest form of coconut oil one can imagine, but it is rare.Extra Virgin Coconut Oil:
Among all the varieties of coconut oil, this is the most challenged and controversial variety, as its very existence is doubtful and the name hardly makes any sense. Furthermore, there are no set standards for virginity of coconut oil. Moreover, reputed firms and governmental bodies are still hesitant to say anything on the matter, nor are they selling it. Basically, further research is definitely required.
Buying Coconut Oil
First of all, you need to decide why you need coconut oil and where you are going to use it. Your choice should be based on your need, like whether you want it for edible purposes or as a carrier oil to be used in aromatherapy, for massaging, for weight loss, or for medicinal purposes. As mentioned earlier, there are different varieties for different purposes. Their properties do not differ much, unless they are mixed with some base or additives that do not contain 100% coconut oil. Below is a list of such purposes and the type of coconut oil to buy.
|Purpose||Preferable Type of Coconut Oil|
|Cooking||Refined Coconut Oil|
|Weight Loss||Virgin Coconut Oil|
|Skin Care||Virgin Coconut Oil, Fractionated Coconut Oil|
|Good Health||Virgin Coconut Oil, Coconut Oil|
|Hair||Pure Coconut Oil, Refined Coconut Oil|
|Medicinal Uses||Virgin Coconut Oil, Virgin Organic Coconut Oil|
Furthermore, before you buy coconut oil, you should keep in mind that for edible and therapeutic uses, refined coconut oil is the best as it is hygienic and clean. Unrefined coconut oil
is good for external applications like hair care and skin care.
How To Incorporate Coconut Oil Into Your Daily Life
- Cooking & Baking With Coconut Oil: This is the most common way people use coconut oil. Use coconut oil in all your cooking. Replace your other cooking oils (like canola, corn or all purpose vegetable oils, which are toxic) with virgin or expeller pressed coconut oil. Coconut oil is rare in that it has a high melting point. This means it’s a solid form at room temperature. It doesn’t melt until about 77 degrees Fahrenheit. You will notice when you purchase a bottle, it will be in solid form. It doesn’t take much heat for this to melt. * Newer coconut products like Raw Coconut Butter / Coconut Manna and Coconut Cream Concentrate can also be used for cooking and baking!
- Eating It Raw: For maximum health value, you can consume coconut oil in an unheated, uncooked manner. To do this, simply open the bottle and use a table spoon to eat the product. It will melt in your mouth. If you have a problem with taste or swallowing it, take it with some organic orange juice after it melts in your mouth.
- Add Coconut Oil To Smoothies, Yogurt, Soups and Hot Drinks (even coffee): Aside from cooking, you can add coconut oil into your smoothies, coffee or tea, yogurt and homemade bone broth. Just make sure to gently melt your coconut oil and slowly pour and stir it into your smoothies and yogurt. This will help the coconut oil from clumping in your cold goodies! The coconut oil will melt when added to hot drinks or soups.
- Make Coconut Oil Candy: Coconut oil candy is by far the most yummy way to enjoy coconut oil! Its also a great way to get your kids to eat coconut oil too! A favorite coconut oil candy recipe is Coconut Mama Coconut Oil Chocolate Bars!
- Use Coconut Oil As A Moisturizer: Your skin will be super soft and smooth from using coconut oil. No need to purchase lotions, which can have toxic ingredients! Also, did you know that what you put on your skin can absorbs straight into your blood stream? If you wouldn’t eat it, don’t put in on your skin! Coconut oil can also be used in place of diaper rash cream!
- Brush Your Teeth With Coconut Oil: Coconut oil works great for cleaning your mouth and teeth. Remember, coconut oil kills bacteria! Mix coconut oil with sea salt and baking soda and use like you would toothpaste. If you don’t want to exclusively use coconut oil for brushing your teeth you can use it after or before brushing your teeth too.
- Oil Pulling: From Coconut Research Center, “Some people think I’m crazy when I tell them that oil pulling can help those with asthma, allergies, chronic fatigue, diabetes, migraine headaches, PMS, and chronic skin problems. Oil pulling works by detoxifying or cleansing the body. In this way, disease promoting toxins are removed, thus allowing the body to heal itself. As a consequence, health problems of all types improve.” To oil pull, all you have to do is use Virgin Coconut Oil like mouthwash. Swoosh for 15-20 minutes a day. Read more about it on the Coconut Research Center’s website.
- Deodorant: You can use coconut oil as a deodorant! You can also make a homemade deodorant made with coconut oil.
- Coconut Bath Oil & Salt Scrub: Add a teaspoon of coconut oil to your bath and use as you would any bath oil or make a salt scrub using 1 part virgin coconut oil and 1 part salt.
- Coconut Oil Hair Treatment: Use a tablespoon of Virgin Coconut Oil and massage your hair and scalp. Leave it in for at least an hour, then wash hair. This can be done 1-3 times a week. The coconut oil will nourish your scalp and hair and will help your scalp from drying and your hair from breaking.